Friday, October 24, 2008

Well...

This is my husband's heart in cheesecloth. I just get so fed up with him that I decided to make him into a nice jelly and you are all getting a tiny jar for Christmas!

Nahhh!!!!!!!! I have a great husband! A little lacking in the punctuality department, but he makes up for it in foot rubs! I am sorry to brag but he rocks!


I made grape jelly! I hope it sets up well. It was really fun to learn to do. Have a great day everyone! Recipe follows...

1. Wash about 3 1/2 lbs. of Concord grapes. Like so...


2. Blend the grapes in two batches in blender.


3. Wash the jars in hot soapy water. Wash lids as well. Keep the jars in hot water until just before pouring. Make sure you dry out jars so as not to mess with jelly.


4. Line a bowl with about 4 layers of cheesecloth. And I would recommend using a pair of latex gloves so you don't stain your hands, nails, etc. when you squeeze the juice through the cheesecloth.


5. Pour the juice from the blender into the cheescloth, this step is a little tricky. Looking back, I think I would have put a large rubberband around the bowl to hold it in place while I poured the juice. Pull the sides up and squeeze the juice out. Be careful not to squeeze to hard because I ripped through a few layers of cheesecloth from over-zealous squeezing!



6. You should have about 4 1/2 c. worth of juice. Pour into pot with 7 c. of sugar. Bring to a hard boil. Add one package of pectin. Stir for another 5 minutes.

7. Dry out jars now and ladle jelly to a 1/4 in. from the lip of jar. Put on lid and screw on top.

8. If you have a canning pot that's great, if you don't you can use a big pot with a grate on the bottom. You need to have water in the pot at a boil and enough to cover the jars by about 2 inches. Boil for 5 minutes. take jars out and let cool at room temp overnight. It will take about 2-3 weeks for it to set up properly. Good luck and email if you have questions!

6 comments:

Kevin and Natali McKee said...

That is a fun video. I love the detailed instructions and ideas. If I ever am brave enough I will definitely try it.
Thank You for keeping us in your prayers and for your sweet words. It means a lot.
I am sorry you don't have insurance either. It is so expensive to have it, thousands every year.

Tyler 2nd RS said...

Cool instructions. I think I will try it soon! Doesn't look too hard. Love ya!

K said...

You are SO domestic! I wish I had your talents (and your kids are too cute!!!). Cool stuff, Anna! =) Kali

Anonymous said...

Whatta woman! Go, Anna, go!! I'm making applesauce even while I write. The Enrichment Activity you're thinking of was for 72 hour kits sealed in the mylar bags. Erin Loughmiller was in charge of that activity. I, unfortunately, don't have the list of stuff you were to seal; but I bet Erin does. Her e-mail is erinbear25@hotmail.com. I know she'd love to hear from you! You probably should contact her soon if you need it now - she's heading to No. Calif. next week for a week. Good luck! Love reading your blog!!

Orton Family said...

Wow - Way to go Anna!!!! It does look like a heart in cheesecloth!!!! The grape jelly sounds delicious!!!!

massey said...

This looks so much simpler than canning salsa...and there's no worry about burning your hands from the jalapenos!!