Did anyone happen to catch Oprah yesterday? I'm normally not one to watch the TV billionaire, but yesterday's show was life changing. Really. The premise of the show was about how many woman are raped/enslaved into brothels/die from pregnancy related health issues every year. A woman dies from pregnancy and labor every minute—the equivalent of five jumbo jets of women dying every day. It was astounding to me. Not just as a mother, but as a woman!More woman have died from pregnancy/rape complications than men have died in all the wars in our century.
I guess it hit me hard because I was stressing about what I was going to buy for Christmas for everyone and then I see these woman who have NOTHING. And not just nothing, but being raped, stolen from their homes to be used in brothels, and being outcast from their communities because they've been raped. It just doesn't register to me that that mindset is prevalent in other parts of the world.
The thing that gives me comfort is that there is something you can do. Something I can do. I can donate minute amounts of money for education, micro loans, and birthing kits. Things that we in this country take for granted and bitch about on a daily basis ( my kids' school isn't great, Our health care system sucks, I'm broke, etc. etc. etc.). But we do live in such a prosperous country. And it really is a land of opportunity, even if it is a $7 an hour job, it's something. Check out this short video to get the point of the passion.
2 comments:
Whats your new address? Trying to send out Christmas cards! Thanks!
OH and Beths too!
Nice post Anna.
Post a Comment