Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The Resolution that has Stuck

So, long story short I've never set New Year's resolutions. Ever. I've always thought they were, I don't know, cliche? But this year I decided to give it a try. I sat my begrudging family down and we brainstormed what we wanted to do and be this year. And I must admit, it was fun.

I guess, I should have realized that "resolution" is just another word for "goal". So, here's the amazing part. I'm actually excited for my goals. Like DE-CLUTTER. You really should stop by my house sometime (call first though because sometimes I haven't gotten any sleep and have the attitude of a badger) because I'm getting rid of stuff left and right. I have this horrible inherited (sorry Mom!) trait of making piles instead of actually cleaning something up and I have resolved not to do that anymore. Piles are the lazy man's way of cleaning, because you don't actually have to put things away, you just have to make a lot of pleasing to the eyes 'piles'. Well, NO MORE.

Magazines piling up by the bed that I might use as inspiration for my next project? Gone. Clothes in my closet that I just don't like anymore? Gone. Baby items that I don't use? Consigned.

Gone.Gone.Gone. It's really liberating. I read an article a month ago that talked about the burden that "things" are. You have to dust them and care for them and store them. I'm starting to look at the things that I don't/seldom use and giving them a boot OR using them more. I'm only keeping what I use and losing what I don't.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still a work in progress, but I'm progressing and it feels amazing.

*As a side note please don't judge my bare walls, my husband wants to hang his instruments up but doesn't want to make holes in the walls. So, there you have it. Limbo. Catch-22. Whatever. :)

5 comments:

Molly said...

Good job, Anna. Unfortunately for you, I'm doing the same thing and passing my stuff to you - like those curtains. Ok, that's just one thing. But still, sorry about that. Feel free to throw them out if you want.

Molly said...

Oh, and one more thing: not to be a Debbie Downer, but isn't it a bit early to say this resolution has stuck? It's still the first week of January!

Sorry. I believe in you.

Anna said...

Well, it's more of a mind set that I'm going to stick with, the "I'll do it later" kind of a thing is Gone-O. And it's been 2 weeks now and I'm going strong!

The Prices said...

I don't think the walls need anything! I agree with this and am constantly getting rid of stuff. The problem is the kids and husband who continue to accumulate.

Orton Family said...

Way to go Anna! We are trying to get rid of stuff too - but not doing it near as fast as you! Your house looks awesome and you are our inspiration! I am still kicking myself that we never stopped over between Christmas and New Years :-( Things ended up being crazy busy between both families and the storm. So for sure - next time we are in UT we are coming by no matter what!