Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Role Reversal...

Well, this having a dog is going just okay. Before we got the dog, Bucky and the kids were all about making promises about helping out. Yeah, Bucky's dad was right, it all usually ends up on one person. That person is me. I know, WAH WAH WAH. But, dude, c'mon. Yesterday Evie (4 1/2) had 3 accidents, Ethan was sick and I'm supposed to train the dog not to jump up on the BAR and scavenge for food. She also has taken up barking ALL the time when she goes outside. We have neighbors who have 3 big dogs and I don't know if she's just trying to protect or what, but it's getting annoying. Any advice?

In good news, Shelley's only have two accidents in the house EVER and they were solid poops. That's better than my daughter who's nearly five and can't seem to make it to the bathroom. What up???

5 comments:

cubshack said...

Attn Readers: In defense of my lack of involvement, I work...all day.

Bucky

Amber H. said...

Anna,

We have a citronella spray collar we bought online. http://www.mightypets.com/product.asp?3=811

It doesn't hurt them like a shock collar does (and actually mellows them out), and when they do something you don't like, you hit a button on a little hand remote and it gives them a citrus spray. You might think it's a little pricey, but I think it is worth EVERY penny. It comes with a little cd that gives you instructions on how to use it with training. It is SO effective and super great. We love it. They also sell bark collars of the same kind, but just for the barking (I think it emits the spray automatically when they bark instead of using a remote). Anyway, good luck! I hope that helps! Dogs are definitely not easy, especially with little kids!

Amber H. said...

Oh, and just let me know if you have any other questions about the collar. I'd love to help. Another great resource for training dogs is "The Dog Whisperer" Cesar Milan....yeah, the name sounds retarded but that guy seriously knows his stuff. He helped us TONS in the training of our last dog. I know a lot of libraries carry his show and books. Totally worth the time! Sorry for the novel Ü

The Dorman Family said...

My advice is cliche I know, but Dog Whisperer all the way!!! Watch some of his shows. We have a chihuahua....totally inclined to crazyness and yapping. But she is chill, and silent unless there is someone at the door. Time to be more dominent!:)LOL( seriously though, it WORKS!, even with the kidsLOL)

The Prestwich's said...

You have all my pity, Anna. We had a dog once. It was the worst two years of my life. We ended up getting a shock collar for the barking. I know. It's mean. It was that or send him to live at the humane society. Then we got lucky and found out my kind son was diagnosed allergic to dogs. Thank you Isaac!!! I'm sorry. I am a bad and mean person.